Thursday, January 19, 2012

Out and About.

 Boronia Park Oval with bushland in the background.
 Sacred Kingfisher with crab.
 Aust. White Ibis feeding in a small mangrove lined creek.
Building on the east side of the river.

Above are a few shots from an evening walk along the Lane Cove River. A section of the Great North Walk (a walking trail running from Sydney to Newcastle) follows the western bank and I did the section between Boronia Park and Buffalo Creek then home through the Field of Mars Reserve. 
Sacred Kingfisher was nice to see. Possibly breeding in a large termite mound near to where I took the above shot. There were also plenty of Aust. White Ibis feeding in the mangroves. I think they must roost around Buffalo Creek. 
A calling Tawny Frogmouth at the field study centre in the Field of Mars had me jumping for a moment when I instinctively thought 'Painted Button-Quail!' 

A list of the birds seen during my walk can be found here: http://www.eremaea.com/Lists.aspx?List=110523

Max Breckenridge
Gladesville NSW

No comments:

Post a Comment